Historic Altamont Home4861 WESTERN TURNPIKE -
Contact Suzanne Prezio at 518-577-6571 or e-mail email@example.com for more information or to schedule a showing.
Lots of potential, just needs your TLC. So much charm in this 4 bedroom 1 1/2 bath historic Albany county home.
Roof is just four years old, the furnace is 12 years old. Country kitchen with wood stove. Wide plank wood floors, formal dining room with fireplace, first floor office, first floor laundry. Lots of charm and built ins. Brick accent walls. This home is a rare find and has many stories to be told.
The house was built in 1809 (Thomas Jefferson was president and Abraham Lincoln was born that year!) by Peter Trebor who opened a tavern on the site. In the mid 1820s. The tavern was later purchased by Major John and Harriet Moak Fuller. The Fullers made the home into a tavern and also raised their nine children here. It was one of the first taverns on the "Great Western Turnpike." When viewing the home, be certain to notice the carriage step (a step to help a person climb down from a carriage) near the road - it still stands today.
The Fuller Tavern was home
to two Town Supervisors. The property assed from the Fuller family to the Tygert
family and then to Lloyd Coss. It became a private residence by the turn
of the 20th century. Ralph Springer bought the property and ran a farm
there in the mid-1940s. It was then purchased by Judge John Welsh, who was also a Town Supervisor.
All the cooking was done in the dining room fireplace (currently being used as the formal living room). A kitchen, laundry area and back room were added (date unknown). The back room (currently the pool table room) was known as the "summer kitchen." The room adjacent to the summer kitchen (where the built-in bookcases and desk now stand) was called the "music room." Upstairs, the small room at the front of the house was called the "sewing room" - this room, besides the built-in bookcases, has a drop-down table which was used for the sewing machine. The room connected to the the master bedroom (the master is the one with the fireplace) was called the "nursery".
You'll see the home featured in historical guides of Guilderland and Altamont.
The basement floor is original fieldstone, dragged up piece by piece from a nearby water source (perhaps the reservoir). The room connected to the cellar was the coal room area with a step down to the root cellar, where the occupants would store their root vegetables during the winter.
Many people have used metal detectors on the property, the last of which was about 10 years ago. At that time the most notable objects retrieved were some belt buckles, old metal toys and a shell casing from a bullet dating from approximately 1915-1925 or so.
With a little bit of vision, this home may once again tell its' story. Sellers are motivated and have priced the home accordingly.
Contact Suzanne Prezio at 518-577-6571 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a showing.
- MLS® ID: 201423058
- Year Built: 1809
- Status: Sold on 4/7/2015
- Parking Type Description: Attached 2 cars
- Lot Area: 1.80
- School District: Guilderland
- Property ID: 103674812
- Beds: 4
- Total Rooms: 10
- New Construction: No
- Estimated Annual Taxes: $11,057
- Style: Colonial
- Baths: 2 (Full: 1 3/4: 0 1/2: 1 Other: 0)
- Fireplaces: 2
- Total Square Footage: 3,120 ($51.25 per sq. foot)
- County: Albany