How to Get the Extended Home Buyer Tax Credit
I get a lot of questions regarding the tax credit and I thought I could clear up some confusion:
You’ve decided to purchase a home and take advantage of the Extended Home Buyer Tax Credit. Here's what you have to do to get your benefit:
- Close on your home purchase between November 7, 2009 and April 30, 2010, or have a binding written contract by April 30, 2010 and close by July 1, 2010.
- Decide whether to:
- apply the credit to your 2009 tax return, filed on or before April 15, 2010;
- file an amended 2009 return; or,
- apply the credit on your 2010 return, filed on or before April 15, 2011.
- Attach documentation of purchase to your return.
Documentation of Purchase
Details concerning the precise documents required to confirm your purchase have not yet been released. When this information becomes available, we will include instructions and links to the appropriate forms.
When to Apply the Credit
Buyers purchasing homes on or before December 31, 2009 may claim the credit on their 2009 tax returns.
Buyers purchasing in 2010 will have the option to:
- Claim the credit on their 2009 return, even if the purchase is completed after December 31, 2009;
- File an amended return for 2009 if their purchase is completed after April 15, 2010; or,
- Claim the credit on their 2010 tax returns.