Summer time is here and with it comes people riding bicycles. Cycling is a fun, healthy sport - as long as you follow a few safety rules. Here are a few tips to stay safe and have fun this summer!
- Always wear a properly fitting helmet as head injuries are the most common and serious injuries related to bicycling accidents.
- Obey Traffic Laws. Bicyclists must obey the same laws as car drivers.
- Riding on the right and in the same direction as the cars are going.
- Always stop at stop signs and traffic lights and yield for traffic on a more heavily used road.
- Look both ways before proceeding.
For a full list of bicycling and pedestrian rules for New York State, click this link:
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC LAWS