The following information is relevant to all who own their own home and use it as their primary residance. (And your income plus your spouses income is less than 500k a year).
If you know what I'm talking about already, then just click the link below and follow the prompts. It will take you all of 1 minute to complete.
If you have no idea what this is, then read on.
Because a few politicians were shady and collected the STAR rebate on multiple homes when it is intended for your primary residance, new legislation was passed and it will affect every home owner in the state.
The legislation requires all homeowners recieving a Basic Star exemption to register with the New York State Tax Department in order to recieve the exemption in 2014 and subsequent years. Homeowners are cool as far as 2013 goes; but need to register for 2014, just to be clear. ALSO, you do NOT have to re-register every year.
HOW TO REGISTER
1) Click the link below and follow the prompts.
2) You will be asked to provide a STAR Code, which will be mailed to each individual recipient, OR you can use the STAR Code look up button, (which I did and it was incredibly easy)
3) Next, provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses.
4) Then confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners. (Married couples with multiple residences may only claim one total exemption)
5) Confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does NOT exceed 500k.
You can also register by calling 518.457.2036
The registration period is from August 19th, 2013 through December 31st 2013
For anyone with family members who own their home and are 65 or older, they hopefully have the ENHANCED STAR exemption. This new legislation does NOT affect them. They do however need to continue applying annually to ensure that they recieve the appropriate exemption.
I hope this information was useful and as always, feel free to contact me if there are any questions.