A New Year (yay) is just around the corner. Welcome 2012!!! Have you given any thought to your home's value? Most likely you are still in the midst of holiday shopping, wrapping, baking or figuring out how you will pay for what you purchased. After those days have passed and before you begin planning for Valentine's Day, I encourage you to consider filing a property tax grievance.

If you believe your home value has decreased since you purchased it or since it was last reassessed by the town or county for tax purposes, you may be paying too much in property taxes. A grievance tells the town that you disagree with their assessment and you want it lowered!

So how do you begin the process? Call the city or town and ask about the grievance process. Find out where their forms can be found (website, town office). Ask about due dates. Call your realtor and seek his or her assistance. You may need a copy of your recent sales contract; a current appraisal for value and as many as 3 our 4 comparable sales in your neighborhood to support your decreased value.

Most towns only allow you to grieve once per year. Often it is in the Spring. Get organized in early January in case you need the help of a professional appraiser or your realtor. Values have decreased unfortunately in many areas since 2005 and many homeowners are still paying taxes based on assessments from years ago.

Submitted by,
Dede Olds, Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Prime Properties
Clifton Park, New York 12065

Dede Olds

Dede Olds

Contact Me

Blog Archives